Project Manager, Surface Ship Systems Division
The ATLAS Group is a market leader in sonar and combat management systems for conventional submarines, surface ships, and complete sensor-to shoot mine warfare solutions and torpedoes. As part of the ATLAS Group, ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK, based at Winfrith in Dorset has a requirement to expand its project management capability to support current and future growth in the submarine market. Surface Ships Division is working to secure an ever increasing share of both the UK and World Wide export market for Mine Counter Measures (MCM),
Unmanned Systems and Maritime Security products. We have an extensive domain expertise in mine warfare and multi role unmanned systems to deliver effective solutions in the areas of mine sweeping/hunting, maritime security, synthetic aperture sonar, signature ranges, and autonomous unmanned systems. MCM has a very strong growth potential across the world with Atlas Elektronik UK occupying world leader status following continued successful deliveries to the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia. The Projects range from research and advice to key customers to system level contracts for integrated product solutions involving software and hardware and through life support. Contract values vary from tens of £k to multi-millions and customer markets are worldwide.
Reports to Head of Delivery
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our successful and growing company in Winfrith, Dorset.
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK together with its subsidiaries, is a technological leader in many sectors and has an excellent reputation. We have unique and unrivalled domain knowledge in weapon handling, mine-hunting, naval weapons and combat systems.
- Reporting to all internal and external stakeholders including travelling for face to face communications
- Defining the project structure, planning and WBS building on the information generated during the bid phase
- Definition of the Project Team that will lead the project delivery
- Clear definition and placement of work packages including key subcontracts required to deliver the project
- Ensuring appropriate risk, opportunity, security, trade controls, quality and configuration management for the project
- Planning, monitoring, control and update of the project including management of project Life Cycle
- Management gate reviews
- Ensuring that the contract remains up to date and consistent with the project goals and business objectives
- Ensuring that contract milestones are met and that cash flow is optimised
Bid Management - PMs are also key contributors to bids and are required to apply the fundamental project management principles and methodology to bids including:
- Stakeholder management
- WBS, OBS and programme definition (external and internal)
- Customer and supplier negotiations
- Internal bid reviews
- Project management documentation
- Risk management approach
- Responsible to the Surface Ships Head of Delivery, Ships Divisional Head and Senior Management Team in all matters relating to project delivery
- External to the business, the PM is responsible to the customer for successful delivery of the project
- The PM represents the project on behalf of the business to the customer, external partners, stakeholders and suppliers
- PM sets and supervises the corresponding goals and targets for the project team, work package providers and/or suppliers
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Qualities Required
- Experience of successfully delivering complex technical products from initial design definition through to final test and acceptance into service
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills and experience with leading diverse teams, stakeholders and suppliers
- Experience of managing significant value (financial, strategic) projects to challenging timescales, budgets and requirements
- Domain experience in the defence business or a recognised high end technical industry
- Good commercial skills and awareness of relevant contractual aspects associated with project delivery
- Ability to effectively communicate, present and negotiate direct with key external stakeholders (Government, Navy, industry) often in overseas environments
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic and delivery focused
- Innovative and prepared to challenge conventional thinking
- Tenacity and determination; with desire to deliver outputs and results
- Team player and leader
- Confident and enthusiastic
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfortable dealing with Senior Management
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV to our Recruitment Partner, Morson International, and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to aeukrecruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance.
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB